While air-drying a few items is simple, a dryer that won’t start means an entire wash load needs time and space. As you hang every item, are you wondering why is my Maytag dryer not starting? The door may not be fully closed or clothing may be preventing it from engaging the latch. Determine the most likely reasons for a Maytag dryer not turning on to restore dryer function and end your “hang time” for good.
Troubleshooting a Maytag Dryer Not Turning On
Troubleshooting a Maytag dryer not turning on could lead to minor adjustments, changes to your use and practice or a professional repair. The following questions can help guide your troubleshooting and find the right solution.
Are There Incoming Power Issues?
Many users find themselves saying, “When I press the start button on my dryer, nothing happens.” If the dryer makes no sound or the display doesn’t light up when pushing the Start button, there’s likely an incoming power problem.
The following power issues can prevent a dryer from starting:
- Faulty outlet or power cord: Make sure the dryer is properly plugged into a functioning outlet. If the cord appears damaged, it needs to be replaced. A faulty outlet should be assessed by a professional electrician.
- Tripped breaker or blown fuse: Check your home’s circuit breaker or fuse box for tripped breakers or blown fuses. Replace a blown fuse and reset any tripped breakers.
- Extension cord: Never use an extension cord to power a dryer or other large appliance. The cord can’t safely conduct the required voltage, leading to overheating that can shut down the dryer.
Is the Door Latch Compromised?
If your Maytag dryer won’t start but has power, the door may not be fully closed. As a safety precaution, the dryer won’t start if the door isn’t shut and latched. Give the door a firm push to make sure it closes completely and the latch is engaged. If the dryer still won’t start, check for any clothing that may be trapped in the dryer door opening. Remove any items so the door can close and latch properly.
In some cases, the door latch may have failed electronically or mechanically. When this happens it may be unable to keep the door securely closed or signal the door switch to start the dryer. A failed door latch requires replacement.
Was the Right Maytag Dryer Cycle Selected?
A Maytag dryer does not start immediately on a Wrinkle Reduction setting. On this particular cycle, the dryer isn’t heating or tumbling consistently and instead uses intermittent heat and tumbling to reduce wrinkles. Other model dryers may have a Delayed Start feature that begins a drying cycle at a preset later time. For an immediate start to the drying cycle, make sure you’ve selected an Automatic or Timed Dry setting.
Is the Control Lock Activated?
If the control lock is activated, all dryer features will be “locked,” including the Start function. Though the control panel display will be blank, the Controls Locked icon may be on or the letters CL or LOC may be illuminated.
To deactivate the Control Lock function, press and hold the Cycle Signal button for 3 seconds. The icon or letters should disappear and all dryer functions should resume.
Has a Maytag Dryer Component Malfunctioned?
If all else fails, it’s possible a part failure is responsible for your Maytag dryer not turning on.
The following part failures can result in a dryer not starting:
- Blown thermal fuse: This fuse is a protective feature that blows if the dryer is in danger of overheating. A Maytag dryer won’t start just beeps when the fuse blows, it must be replaced for the dryer to resume function. It’s possible that the fuse may blow because it’s faulty. However, if your dryer takes forever to dry before it blows, the dryer vents should be checked for obstructions.
- Defective start switch: When the Start button is pushed, it signals the start switch to engage the drive motor. If the dryer makes no noise at all when the Start button is pushed, the switch is likely defective and needs replacement.
- Broken drive motor: The drive motor powers the dryer drum, enabling it to rotate. If the above parts are functioning properly, the drive motor should be assessed for malfunctions and, if necessary, replaced by a professional service.
Don’t let a Maytag dryer not turning on leave you at the mercy of air-drying laundry. Schedule your service with Appliance Repair Specialists for the best Maytag dryer repair Brandon!