Your freezer has numerous essential functions, so keeping it at peak performance is important. There are ways you can help your freezer run more efficiently. By following a few easy tips, you can extend the life of your stand-alone or built-in freezing unit.
1. Keep the freezer stocked: If you don’t have enough food to fill the unit, place jugs of water or several ice blocks in it.
2. Do not place hot food into the freezer: This will affect the freezing capabilities of the unit. Instead, allow food to cool down in the refrigerator first.
3. Get in and out of the freezer quickly: Keeping the freezer door open raises the temperature rapidly inside the unit.
4. Pay attention to the temperature: Keep your thermostat regulated, If you are uncertain about temperatures, place a thermometer in the freezer and check it often. A freezer should not go above zero degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Keep the unit away from any heat sources: such as the oven, dishwasher or heating vents. Allow air to circulate behind the freezer.
6. Regularly clean the coils on the unit: Vacuum or brush them to remove dust or dirt buildup. Dirty coils prevent the freezer from running effectively. Read more about this here.
7. Keep the door seals clean and in good condition: If a seal is broken or soiled, air can easily get in and out of the unit, which impacts the freezing function.
8. Defrost the freezer regularly: Units that don’t have self-defrost functions will need to be deiced consistently.
Tampa appliance repair specialists are equipped to fix most brands and models of refrigerators and freezers. We can help you with problems such as poor cooling, leaks, noisy units and broken ice-makers. Contact us at (813) 288-1900 or (727) 822-2600. For a list of the locations where we provide services, please go to our Areas of Service.