5-4-3-2-1…Happy New Year!
Here’s a New Year countdown to help you remember a maintenance routine for your appliances in 2017.
If you’ve never used a dishwater additive, you may have noticed a white buildup in your dishwasher and on your dishes.
To remove and prevent hard water buildup in your dishwasher, we suggest adding Lemi Shine Dishwasher Detergent Additive to every load. This specially formulated additive breaks up mineral deposits, including calcium, lime, and iron, keeping your dishwasher in top working condition for years to come.
4 Quarterly Chores for Your Refrigerator Maintenance.
Your refrigerator is likely the most expensive appliance in your home, making regular maintenance worth the time invested. Add these 4 simple refrigerator maintenance chores to your schedule every 3 months to help your refrigerator last for years.
- Clean your refrigerator coils. Dust, pet hair, and debris accumulate on your refrigerator coils. If neglected for long periods of time, the buildup can interfere with your refrigerator’s ability to cool properly and increase your energy consumption. Inspect your coils every 3 months, and vacuum away debris when necessary. For really dirty coils, you can purchase a coil cleaning brush online or hire a professional to clean the coils for you.
- Clean the evaporator fan. Like the refrigerator coils, the blades on your evaporator fan can become caked with dust, debris, and pet hair, causing extra wear and tear on the fan. The evaporator fan is responsible for circulating air through your refrigerator and freezer, so problems with your fan can mean spoiled food. Ensure your fan is in it’s best condition by carefully cleaning the fan blades of debris 2-4 times per year.
- Clean the Interior of Your Refrigerator. Remove food and clean the interior of your refrigerator with baking soda or warm soapy water once every three months. This ensures that your refrigerator is clean and fresh all year long. Here are some tips for keeping your refrigerator organized.
- Clean the Door Seal (Gasket). It may seem obvious to clean up the shelves and drawers of your refrigerator from time to time, but an often missed (but perhaps more important) place to clean is the refrigerator door seal. A dirty refrigerator gasket can interfere with a proper seal, which will allow cool air to escape and warm air to enter. This causes your refrigerator compressor to work harder, which may shorten the life of the compressor. When cleaning your refrigerator, remember to wipe down the door seal with warm, soapy water. Test to make sure the seal is working properly by placing a dollar bill in the door and closing it. If the dollar bill slips out or is removed with little effort, you may need a new door seal.
3 Dryer Vent Cleaning Tips.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 34% of dryer fires are caused by dryers with excess dirt, dust, and lint. Proper dryer vent maintenance is important not only for your dryer, but it can also save you from expensive, life threatening fires.
Here are three tips to make sure you aren’t a victim of a dryer fire in 2017.
- Remove lint from the lint filter trap every time you load the dryer. Don’t allow excess lint to build up in the lint trap!
- Clean the floors and walls around your dryer at least twice a year. It’s important to remove any lint build up from around the dryer to prevent fires. Chances are that if you see excessive lint build up around your dryer, step 3 (cleaning the vent) will be necessary.
- Inspect and clean your dryer vent at least twice per year. You can clean your dryer vent yourself or hire a professional to clean the vents for you.
2 Water Filter Changes Per Year.
Most modern refrigerators have a built-in indicator that warns you when to change your water filter. For everyone else, it’s important to remember to change your water filter every six months. A good time to change your filters is during Daylight Savings time in the spring and fall (simply because the time change will help you remember).
1 Tab Per Month for Perfect Washer Maintenance.
An often-overlooked appliance during cleaning day is the washing machine. After all, a machine designed to clean doesn’t seem like an obvious candidate for a thorough scrub down. However, cleaning your washer can keep it working in top condition for years to come. Just add one washer cleaning tab to your Tub Clean Cycle once per month. Pick up washer tub cleaners in your local store or order online.